Skip to content

History of The festival of San Lorenzo

Introduction

     The town of San Lorenzo is a beautiful valley that is located in the highest area of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, on the border with Santa Brígida and Teror. This town became a municipality more of Gran Canaria until 1937, which was annexed to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
 

     Its population is 6,000 inhabitants roughly and is part of the district Tamaraceite-San Lorenzo-Tenoya with a population of around 44.900 inhabitants.

    In he is venerated to St. Lawrence, deacon and martyr, whose parish church was built in the SEVENTEENTH century.
His feast is celebrated on the 10th of August. Therefore, in the month of August, the festival Committee of San Lorenzo, the Parish and the capital city Council, prepares a wide variety of cultural, religious, and popular in his honor, which emphasize the Fireworks in the early hours of 9 to 10 August, a wonderful firework display of light, color and sound that lights up the sky of the city for 30 minutes ending with a huge volcano made by the neighbors. This act is the largest of the festivals with over 60,000 visitors every year. 
 In addition to conferences, cultural and novena. Are the festivals of the summer and gunpowder, declared as Fiestas of the City of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria in the year 1990.
     It also attracts its Farmer's Market on Sundays, Holy Week, and celebrations throughout the year such as the Taifa of Finaos 31 October, the eve of All Saints.
    A town with a special charm surrounded by beautiful ravines, with a very wide variety of flora and fauna that are at their peak in the colder months.

History of the Holidays

     The original hermitage is built in the first half of the SEVENTEENTH century, in the southern part of the town of Lugarejo and the sun was ceded by the neighbors Bartholomew Diaz and Juan Dominguez, the site of the Plaza of San Lorenzo was donated by Captain Francisco Déniz and his wife Melchora de Torres, were the owners of the land, and in the year 1958, deceased, occurs a sale by Ensign John of the Nut and his wife Dña. Felipa Déniz Torres, daughter of the above-mentioned, about two fanegadas of land, which they sell to the farmer and neighbor of the place, Lucas Lorenzo, son-in-law of the Captain Lazarus of Ortega. In the same document it is said that the appointed Captain Francisco Déniz not only provided the terrain for the Plaza, but also of the Hermitage, it is certain that these lands, in part or in its entirety belong to him.
 
     Already in the document of the creation of the hermitage, in the year 1638, if we said that in the solar had space for a square in the front and in the rear a street to get to the Saint in a procession, and for those first stewards always supported by the sky and poor neighborhood that gave animals, wheat and other products of the earth, to be sold and get the sufficient amount of actual to, among other things, to celebrate the feast of its patron saint.
 
     In the year 1667 gathered 27 real lemon when San Lorenzo was in the procession to the city of Las Palmas, possibly accompanied by the Virgin of the Pine that came from Teror to placate any epidemic or drought which ravaged the island, made very frequent in those years, or that the presence of the images would help recover the Bishop D. Bartholomew Ximenez, who had been the victim of a poisoning in the same year.
 
     From the may 10, 1666, the festivities in honor of Our Lady of Good success were taking a lot of importance and the image became the center of attention due to the devotion aroused among the faithful, not only of the place, but of other parts of the islands, as is the case with San Lorenzo. And where was the devotion professed to such miraculous image in the past, is not less than it is now professes to be, touches, touches see the crowd of pilgrims who, in the day of the Holy, come from the villages, more sections of this island and of the sister islands, travel to his knees in continuous procession to the church, from the gateway to the throne on which is the image. Special advocate of the diseases of the feet and hands and mostly of eczema, skin diseases and burns.
 
     On the 22nd of June in the year 1709 took place in the village in a procession with images of the Virgin Mary, Our Lady of the Good Event, San Sebastian and San Lorenzo, which was accompanied by the first priest of this parish, the almighty Juan Gonzalez Naughty.
 
     On the 12th of August, 1747, Captain D. Juan Gonzalez Naughty was imposed on each of the 10 August "... date on which is celebrated the feast of St. Lawrence, thanks to the demands of some neighbours two, and considering that the Church did not have enough taxes and income to pay the feasts of the Holy and because of dubious continuity for being the devotees of poor men, he wanted to assure and improve the feasts of the Holy to you never missing." and so their heirs had to pay annually two ducats.

      On August 5, 1827, at the Mayor's office ordered them to fix the road that came out of the city because if not it was the feast of the Holy fear of many to come. It is clear that a lot of people of the city was already in those years, to the festival of San Lorenzo.

     In the fateful year of 1851, the year of the cholera, in particular with date 30 July, a letter from the priest of San Lorenzo, at that time it was the function of D. Pedro Manuel Suárez, addressed to the Bishop in which he commented that it had been aware for some neighbors that the mayor of the village, Francisco Guerra Naughty, who was also the patron of the foundation of the feast of San Lorenzo, which is celebrated on the 10th day of August, he had said that the party was going to leave for later so that the priest complained. He answered from the bishopric that the action taken by the mayor was right because in the feasts of the Holy gathered a huge amount of people and I could reproduce the terrible anger that only a month before had scared place, so it was better to delay the date of
the party to avoid any danger. It was clear that the mayor of San Lorenzo are not cared for their roles and did not do things lightly, watching over his people and for everyone who came to see him to enjoy the feast of San Lorenzo and his iconic fireworks.

     From the Civil Government to get to San Lorenzo a press release on January 23, 1865, said:
"Being the power of the authority to grant the authorization to launch flying with the occasion of the feast I foresee taking provisions convenient to not sell a single rocket or flying in that town without which you know to whom and for what, that the omission will punish them with severity. In such people, The Hunchback is devoted to the manufacture of flying. This subject is who you should go and let you know the obligation to ensure the person or persons to whom it sells flying."
Replied the mayor of San Lorenzo, which was notified of the order, to D. Pedro Rodriguez, a person signed very well.

    The news story about the Holidays this Village appears as the 1 August 1865 in The Country, newspaper of gran canaria, which is realized as "10 of the stream will be held in the neighboring town of San Lorenzo the feast of its patron saint, with the solemnity of habit. Preach the Sr. canon of this Holy Church Cathedral D. Gregorio Chil - uncle of the celebrated Dr. Gregorio Chil and Naranjo, founder of The Museo Canario-, and the day before, for the night will burn varied fireworks. The fair will be very lively."
It would be the same newspaper, on the 16th of August, 1867, when he published what can be considered the first extensive chronic of what had happened that year this holiday season; a text, between serious and humorous, of enormous significance for understanding the importance and the significance that they already had the holidays.
"... The festivities were crowded and lively, and the fireworks, the work of the pyrotechnic D. Pedro Rodriguez, were much applauded..."

   The Feast of the Holy kept a lot of relationship with the economy of the time and you can see the July 1, 1875, with mayor Mr. Francisco Rodriguez Lantigua, where we can read:
«To be close to the festivities of Our Patron Lord St. Lawrence, in order to contribute to that with proper decency, the city Council agreed to budget in the current añño 225 pesetas for that object and they are to be used on fires 112 esp with 50 cents."

   On 29 July 1879 the city's economy was not buoyant and this shows that the city Council agreed to:
«the chapter of unexpected take 20 pesetas were delivered to the council member D. Antonio González Naranjo to invest in what they considered necessary to address to the Festivities of the Patron saint of both the eve as the party and take the order and care of the plaza and public positions that they can be placed on the same as usual, which put their orders to the city of this City in addition to you would associate of the mayor of Neighborhoods."

     In the year 1889 already had a Commission of Festivities, and in this sense, the city Council agreed to give authorization to contract with the director of the Band of Music of Arucas las tocatas for the Feast of the Patron San Lorenzo.

     In the year 1914 in the festivities of San Lorenzo had a ceremony very special which was a projection of the open-air cinema and therefore it was agreed, by the town Hall, which was owed to Mr. Pascual Salmerón García expenditures that had caused the transportation, the installation and the back of the cinema to the city.      

     In terms of the acts:
 
1860: First Show Cattle
1865: speaking for the first time, of the burning of fireworks
1970: First Scale in Hi-Fi
1971: First delivery of distinctions
1980: First a tribute to the mothers
1988: First pilgrimage
1990: First lighting of candles 
Year 2000: The First Drag Queen Gala
2008: First Memorial Antonio Martel and Lorenzo Suárez
 
   In 1990 it was declared a festival of the City of Las Palmas of Gran Canaria in a plenary session of the city council and the 10 of June of 2022, the Fires of San Lorenzo were declared a Festival of Tourist Interest of the Canary islands.
 
en_GB